Church of S. Paolo all’Orto
The church is known since 1086. St. Augustinian nuns used it from 1472 to 1808, when the nunnery was suppressed. From 1819 to mid-20th century, the building was again used for worship. Today deconsecrated, it houses the University of Pisa Collection of Plaster Casts and Antiquities. The lower part of the front is in typical Pisan Romanesque architectural style. The impressive brick bell tower is probably 13th century. Inside, medieval columns with capitals alternate with the remains of 18th and 19th century stuccos, and traces of 12th or 13th century wall paintings.